Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Facing Your Child's Insecurities

In her effort to overcome self-doubt and insecurity, one teen turned to Yahoo Answers. (If you google search on “teenage insecurities” this is the top hit.) Here is a bit of what she said:
“I'm insecure. Of everything possible. I feel left out sometimes because I don't feel good enough for anyone. Seeing those popular girls--wow, they're just so confident. They seem so interesting. They get noticed by cute guys and I wish I had their beauty. The thing is, I know my faults and imperfections but I don't know how to fix them. I want to be myself. But there's always someone better than me. I don't know how to accept it. It's so hard.”

Doesn’t your heart break for this young gal? Far too many kids, boys and girls, face similar battles over not measuring up to their peers. They don’t “esteem” themselves, or consider themselves as valuable. Carrying a healthy self-esteem means a person carries a healthy sense of personal value. He or she has an inner peace ­– a place in this world and a contribution to offer to others. God’s Word says, “I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:9&10)

Here are a few important messages to send to your kids:

1. You are accepted, and not rejected. You belong in this family, and you are part of God’s family. You might gain and lose friends, you might feel like you don’t belong in some groups, but you always belong here with us. And you can know that nothing will separate you from God’s love as well.

2. Do not be afraid of social comparisons. Yes, there may always be someone in your group who is prettier, funnier, smarter, or more talented than you. But God is with you, and that means you have something to offer. You can be a blessing anytime, any place, and to anyone.

3. The Lord offers strength and help. You don’t need to get caught in the trap of not feeling as valuable as others around you. The Lord can help you to be a good friend – one who cares, shows compassion, listens well and offers support, and who has the strength to offer help when needed.

No comments: